The Costa Rica Expert

Monday, June 11, 2007

Ticos and Dancing

One of the great joys of this culture for me is Latin music and dance. Ticos are incredible dancers. I have been to neighboring countries of Nicaragua and Panama and, no offense to the incredible people of those places; they just don’t have the natural talent for dancing that the Ticos possess, in my humble opinion.

There are three basic dance forms that you will generally find in Costa Rica. They are Salsa, Merengue and Cumbia. Salsa is my favorite. For me it is the sexiest and most fluid of the other dances. However, it is more difficult to learn than Merengue. Merengue is the easiest because basically your lower body is always moving the same way when you dance. If you can learn that (and even most “Gringos” can) then you can dance Merengue. Cumbia is the most difficult of the three dance forms. What makes it even more difficult is the way that Ticos dance Cumbia. No where in Latin America do Latinos dance Cumbia like Ticos. It involves what appears to be a lot of hopping around, which really is more kicking when you actually learn the steps. Also, the spins and other fancy maneuvers in Cumbia make this dance incredible exercise and a joy to watch. Once I was in Dominical at a little place called Roca Verde, which is actually a restaurant that turns into the most happening disco in the area on Saturday nights. I spied this beautiful young Latin lady and was about to ask her to dance when a Tico guy beat me to the punch (the story of my life). Well I was lucky. Because for the next thirty minutes or so I sat mesmerized watching the two of them perform the most incredible display of Cumbia dancing that I had ever seen. It was almost like gymnastics. I don’t believe my Cumbia would have been quite up to the par for this young lady.

Anyway, Latin dancing is a great joy and if you visit the country you should partake. There is a great chain of dance schools called Merecumbe where you can take private classes (about $20 for an hour’s instruction) or group classes. There are schools all over San Jose. My favorite disco in San Jose is Castro’s Bar located in Bario Mexico. They play all the great Latin music and if you don’t feel up to dancing just sit back and watch. They have some incredible dancers there and it is a joy just to sit and observe. The service is excellent too and upstairs in the best Karaoke bar in San Jose (another great Latin cultural pleasure).

If you are interested in setting up dance classes while you are here or getting recommendations or directions to a great disco, please give me a call at Package Costa Rica. Our toll free number (from U.S. or Canada) is 1-866-424-6439.

Pura Vida!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home