The Costa Rica Expert

Friday, October 26, 2007

A Little More About Package Costa Rica

In my blogs I often refer to "my travel company" and I wanted to give those who are fortunate enough to read my drivel a little more information. The idea for Package Costa Rica was born in 2004 while I was in the midst of trying to complete a deal whereby a family owned private university I was representing for sale was acquired by a large international educational company. Actually at the time PCR was conceived I was in La Fortuna in a hot tub and the deal was about to fall apart. My thinking was that (1) I need to capitalize on the growing tourism market and (2) I better figure some way to make money in the country or it may be the last time I ever see it!. I spent the next morning furiously writing a business plan on whatever pieces of paper I could find (still have it by the way). A that time I had the idea that there would not be much competition. Well, of course, I was wrong about that. We made our first sale in April of 2004 and since then I estimate that we have brought about 1,000 tourists to Costa Rica. Many have been families, many honeymooners and others that have wanted to come for any number of reasons.

Our office is in a commercial center not too far from downtown San Jose and right next to the Hotel Best Western Irazu (one of the largest hotels in the country). We have a small staff of only three since most of our work is outsourced. They are Mario (aka "the Package Guru") who builds the itineraries, Alessandro (aka "El Che" since he is Italian and lived in Argentina for a while) who takes care of managing the office and yours truly (I have no nickname and no real job assignment). We try to have a lot of fun while we work and to our advantage there is a bar right across the hall where we can run for Imperials, usually around 5:30 PM.

The picture to the left is of a painting I had done by an artist from Atenas. On my many trips to Jaco or Manuel Antonio I kept noticing that someone was painting beautiful murals on the rocks along the mountain roadside. I also noticed a phone number on one of the rocks. I called it and the rest as "they say" is history. The ornately painted counter in the form of a traditional Costa Rican Carreta (or oxcart) is complements of the Chaverri Oxcart Factory in Sarchi.

Most of our business comes from our Package Costa Rica website, but we also get some walk-in business from the hotel next door. If you are here in the neighborhood, please stop by and meet us. If you are still in the planning phases, please give us a call at 866-424-6439 or fill out our Package Inquiry Form. Either way, we would like to meet you and show you our beautiful country.

Pura Vida from Package Costa Rica!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home